Friday, August 1, 2008

Summer = Food + Bikes

I am trying to embrace the essence of Summer. It is already August (where does the time go?) and there are really only four weekends left of the season. Granted, it is 70 degrees in Santa Monica until late October... then back to 70 degrees in early March... but STILL, Summer is special and is like no other time of year.

With that being said, I have to admit I've been a little less disciplined in my exercise regimen. I bought a new bike this week, and have been riding every day instead of running. Admittedly, this is not nearly as good of a workout, but it is more fun and a lot easier to get my friends to ride with me than it is to get them to run with me!

ANYWAY, I bought a Masi "Commuter Speciale." It is a pretty sweet 1 speed with a free wheel, that can be flipped into a fixed gear if/when I feel ready. Here ya go:





Of course, for biking instead of running I had to trade out the Nike running shorts, sports bras, and training shoes in exchange for high tops and cut offs. I did it Stacey style though, which means taking scissors to a pair of $160 7 For All Mankind jeans. Whatever, they were boot-cut anyway. So 2002.


ANYWAY. Enough about the bike. The other important part of Summer is pigging out on delicious food. There is so much to eat in this city, it's ridiculous!

SUNDAY, Beaver took me to this little place called The Vegan Joint. Just one of those random thai / burgers / pancakes / everything hole in the wall places, but pretty delicious! My favorite part about it was the sign out front when we pulled up:


It really made me wonder: What constitutes a Vegan Joint emergency? Is it when someone just REALLY needs soy chicken and pancakes in the middle of the night? I'm not sure, but I kind of want to call some time and find out!!

TUESDAY, Will cooked up some sweeeeeet vegan pasta & cheezy sauce with tomatoes. oh man. delicious. AND, chocolate biscotti! It was so good.

THURSDAY, Lisa and I went out to M Cafe for breakfast. French toast, breakfast panini (which is panini with tofu scramble, tempeh bacon, soy cheeze and cranberry sauce. amazing), and chocolate cookies. Sooooooo good:



TONIGHT, Beaver and I went on a long bike ride down to the marina, through Venice, met up with Critical Mass for a bit but got bummed on the dumb drunk kids with their lame bikes swerving all over the place so we broke off after a little while and just rode around. Fun.

TOMORROW, maybe seeing X Files with my sis, SUNDAY I'm gonna go down to the Farmers' Market and I really should get a run in, MONDAY I have completely free! Summer fun is in the works.

No comments: