Sunday, July 20, 2008

Strawberry Fields.

Today was the Strawberry Fields multi-event race in Oxnard.
My sister and I signed up for the Olympic distance relay triathlon. Here's how the day went:

We spent the night at the Best Western in Oxnard with our other sister, Kelly. Set our alarms for 4:45 AM because we had to be at the race site at 5:30 am (ouch). Left for the race before dawn, got there and got set up and waited for our start time. Dana started in the water, a 1/2 mile open ocean swim. She says it was "brutal." She then transitioned onto bicycle, taking on the 24 mile bike leg of the race. That took about an hour, meanwhile I was standing around waiting to take my turn on the run portion of the triathlon. I used this opportunity to stare at all of the beefcake dudes that were racing. total eye candy. ANYWAY. Dana finished the bike and passed the relay anklet over to me, I booked it out of the transition area and ran my ass off. 6 miles. It took me about an hour, which is about what I expected. Not too bad, considering 6 months ago I couldn't run one mile without feeling like I was going to pass out. Dana and I took 7th place in the Olympic relay. I feel like we could have done a little better, but all in all that's not bad for our first relay and my first ever 10k run!

Seriously, if you would have told me when I first moved to LA that at some point my idea of a good time would be waking up at 5 in the damn morning to run 6 miles, I would have thought you were a crazy person. No joke.


My next goal: a Duathlon (run, bike, run). I think this would be ideal for my first long solo race because I am not a strong swimmer at ALL but I want to start training on a bicycle. Fun!!

1 comment:

sarabethxvx said...

yay!!! congratulations! you did great!!!