Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Official.

I am officially a triathlete now.

Sunday I completed the sprint distance tri at the Arrowhead 'day at the beach' Triathlon. Here's the overview:

It was early as hell (I woke up at 4:30 am...seriously, ungodly). Still dark and cold outside. We biked over from the hotel at 5:00 and got to the race site with plenty of time to set up transition and hang for a bit. Thankfully, the waves had calmed down after the storm, so the swim was manageable. Okay, my swim was really slow. Damnit, I am just a bad swimmer. I'm going to work on it. Anyway, I felt really strong about the bike portion. I kept up a pretty solid biking speed, 18 to 20 MPH, even though the course was extremely crowded (a 3 loop course with over 1000 bicyclists. insane. 5 people crashed!) My run was quite a bit slower than my average 5k (I can run 3 miles in 25 minutes. BUT, when you put that after struggling through a swim and then using all your calf muscles racing your bike, it slows down your running stride! It took me 29 minutes. Not a time I am proud of, but hey I completed a triathlon, okay? What have YOU done!?! ... just kidding.)

Anyway. The total race took me 1:28. Not the greatest time in the world, but I guess I am happy enough for my first triathlon.

I'm already signing up for another race. November 30th. 1/2 mile swim, 14 mile bike, 4.5 mile run. Time for more training!!

Pictures soon...

xo

3 comments:

sarabethxvx said...

yay! you did so good. Glad you got past your swimming phobia

Unknown said...

awesome! Crongrats! Hey; have you ever seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOyaLDQumqU

shonmao said...

I've been looking for healthier pools. Looks like there is an Ozone treated pool close to you at the Santa Monica YMCA.

http://www.ymcasm.org/index_files/Page693.htm